Week 4 Los Lagos Chile

6:41 PM

Hola!

This week went by so quickly! We had intercambios which is where we do 24 hour companion exchanges with the Hermana Leaders. I was nervous because they asked me to dirrect my area with Hermana Bernal (from Columbia) who does not speak any english. So Hermana Gardner left to Valdivia and I was in charge of the phone, money, keys and leading the sector... haha doesnt sound like a ton but when I its a different language, the money is different and I have only been here for 3 weeks it was a bit scary. However, it was my favorite day in the mission so far. Why? Because It was like a test. I was able to evaluate how well I knew Los Lagos, how my spanish has been progressing and other things. I was surprised in some areas and found out where I need to improve in others. It was just a great day! Hermana Bernal and I visited investigators, taught a few lessons, knocked doors (lots and lots of rejections) and did street contacting. I Loved being with her because we got to know each other, laughed, had really special discussions about the gospel all in spanish! With Hermana Gardner we speak very little english, only when I dont know a word we speak in english. Haha but with Hermana Bernal if I didnt know a word I described it until she understood haha. I saw so many mini miracles because Heavenly Father was aware I was nervous and really helped me with the language, lessons and dirrections.
Also I had empanadas for my fist time this week and they were soooooo good. 
Our investigators are progressing. I am participating a lot more in the lessons. I am understanding the people more but still it is a daily struggle. However I am grateful for the struggle with the language because I really have to listen and pray for promptings from the spirit. He really does bring scriptures and experiences to our remembrance. 
I have realized their are two distinct faces the people make when I am talking with them. 
1. when it is me talking and they are just confused haha
2. When they dont understand me but the spirit is touching their hearts helping them understand.
I try to aim for the second. When I can see they understand I know that the spirit is acting as my translator.
Oh!! Yesterday in church was really special! Luciana came to church with us! She is keeping her commitments by reading and praying about the Book of Mormon!
Also 3 of the less active families we have been praying for and teaching were at church and they shared their testimonies in the meeting!
I cant really describe the joy I feel when I see people changing and really gaining a testimony of the gospel and then acting on it. 
Haha actually I know some people do. 
Hermana Gardner and I are 19 year old girls, the only Americans in Los Lagos, Chile. We knock on doors of people that have been studying the Bible their whole life and we tell them we have a message that can change their life. 
Missionary work seems impossible but it works because it is true. It works because this is the true church. It works because Joseph Smith was a prophet of God who in faith prayed to know which church to join. It works because the priesthood was restored. 
I love to think about how different we must appear as missionaries and as members of the church. Because as we are following our Savior Jesus Christ we are different than the ways of the world. 
Last thing, I read this in Jesus the Christ this morning. It is about Peters walk to Christ on the water
"His attempt (peter), though attended by partial failure, was a demonstration of the efficacy of faith in the Lord, such as no verbal teaching could have every conveyed"
This was so special to me. Like a mission or really anything in life that causes us to grow, it is an act of faith. It is something we cant do alone. We tell the Savior this is what I want to do and He in His great mercy allows us to do it, like Peter wanting to walk on the water. And like Peter I get scared, I fall short however every single time I ask for help and guidance the enabling power of the Atonement is there. Sometimes we are allowed to suffer in a trial because our loving Heavenly Father knows we will learn better in the experience than being taught by words. 
I love you all. Thank you for being examples to me. Thank you for your prayers. 
Hermana Egbert

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images